2019-2020 Elementary Faith Formation
The Elementary Faith Formation program is held on Wednesday evenings from 6:15- 7:30 pm
- Our elementary classes are for students in 1st – 5th
- Classes are open to all parish families, for children both in the public school system and those who attend St. Paul the Apostle School. Faith Formation lessons are different from the religion curriculum in school.
- The program will begin September 25 and conclude on May 6, 2020.
- The Faith Formation sessions begin with a large group catechesis gathering to build community within our parish.
- The children then break out into individual grade level lessons.
- Lessons will be structured in accordance with the Diocese of Grand Rapid’s religious education guidelines of bringing children to ENCOUNTER Jesus Christ; GROW in their faith and relationship with God and WITNESS living our faith in our daily lives.
- Each month the children will participate in Faith in Action events for hands on learning.
- Classes are filled on a first come basis.
- Weekly attendance at both class and Mass is expected.
The Faith Formation program is a fun and interactive way for your child to encounter Jesus, grow in faith and become a witness to the Gospels.
First Grade children will learn from the Blest Are We Faith & Word program
In grades 2nd – 5th each child will receive a Children’s Bible from St. Mary’s Press.
To register one child the fee is $75, your second and third child is additional $30 each, and the fourth child is free.
Discounts are available:
- Volunteer as a catechist, weekly aide or a small group leader for youth ministry- Your Children can attend for free – Grandparents may volunteer and the discount will apply.
- Sign up for 3 ministries – Your Children can attend for free
- Sign up for 2 ministries – Your Children can attend for half price.
Please note if your child is preparing to receive a sacrament this year (First Reconciliation, First Holy Communion, or Confirmation) they must be registered for their appropriate grade level in the faith formation program or attend SPA school as well as attend Sacrament Catechesis events.
If you have an older child who needs to receive Sacraments, family catechesis (RCIC) will be held twice a month on Sunday mornings between Mass times.
This program is for children who have completed 2nd grade, but have not celebrated the Sacraments of Baptism and/ or First Reconciliation and First Eucharist.
RCIC stands for the process involving “Christian Initiation of Children Who Have Reached Catechetical Age.”
Whether your family is just entering the Church, is returning after time away, have decided as a family to delay your children’s sacramental preparation, or any other circumstance, all are welcome.
No registration fee for this program.
Home Study with Family Catechesis Option
We are excited to announce an option for families.
Students enrolled in our Home Study with Family Catechesis option are given a textbook for their individual grade level and have a schedule for when assignments are due. The work is completed at home with on-line assessments following each chapter.
We will have three family gatherings that follow the diocese’s religion curriculum guidelines of Encounter, Grow and Witness.
Mark your calendars for October 15, January 7, and May 19. Parish Family Nights will begin with a potluck dinner at 6:00 PM followed by hands on activities for the entire family.
Each gathering will have a different topic/ theme covered where parents and children learn about our Catholic faith side by side.
There is a $25.00 registration cost for Family Catechesis to cover the cost of the student book.