Children Faith Opportunities
CHILDREN’S LITURGY OF THE WORD:
Who: children in grades Kindergarten – 2nd
When: during both 9 and 11 am Masses
Children’s Liturgy of the Word is an effective way for our children to develop a fuller and more active participation in Mass by hearing the readings at a level of their understanding.
Volunteers are needed. Facilitators are scheduled on a 4-5 week rotation during the Mass of their choice. Training and materials provided. Contact the program coordinator by emailing faithformation@SPAgr.org or call the parish office (616) 949-4170.
Elementary Faith Formation Program
The Faith Formation program is a fun and interactive way for your child to encounter Jesus, grow in faith and become a witness to the Gospels.
The program is held held on Wednesday evenings from 6:15- 7:30 pm.
- Our elementary classes are for students in 1st – 5th
- Classes are open to all parish families, for children both in the public school system and those who attend St. Paul the Apostle School. Faith Formation lessons are different from the religion curriculum in school.
- The program will begin September 25 and conclude on May 6, 2020.
- The Faith Formation sessions begin with a large group catechesis gathering to build community within our parish.
- The children then break out into individual grade level lessons.
- Lessons will be structured in accordance with the Diocese of Grand Rapid’s religious education guidelines of bringing children to ENCOUNTER Jesus Christ; GROW in their faith and relationship with God and WITNESS living our faith in our daily lives.
- Each month the children will participate in Faith in Action events for hands on learning.
- Classes are filled on a first come basis.
- Weekly attendance at both class and Mass is expected.
We look forward to working with you and your children to grow in our Catholic faith!
Many volunteers are needed to help with the program. Catechist and weekly aides are provided with training opportunities. Manuals and lesson plans are provided.
PARISH FAMILY NIGHTS: gatherings all parishioners
We will have three family gatherings that follow the diocese’s religion curriculum guidelines of Encounter, Grow and Witness.
Mark your calendars for October 15, January 7, and May 19. Parish Family Nights will begin with a potluck dinner at 6:00 PM followed by hands on activities for the entire family.
Each gathering will have a different topic/ theme covered where parents and children learn about our Catholic faith side by side.
Middle School Edge
Studies for Adults
ROMANS: The Gospel of Salvation- eight week fall study
When: Monday morning from 9:30-11:30 am.
October 7, 14, 21, 28
November 4, 11, 18
Cost: The price of the study guide is $30.00 if purchased through the Faith Formation Office..
All are welcome
THE BIBLE TIME LINE, sessions 14-23
When: Tuesday Afternoon 12:30-2:30 pm
September 10: review session
Session 14 begins on September 17. The study will conclude on March 24, 2020
This study uses the Ascension Press series: The Bible Timeline.
- The Bible is at the heart of our Catholic Faith—and our relationship with God.
- The study is designed so that anyone can make sense of the Bible and experience the life-changing
power of God’s Word.
- That story is God’s plan as it has unfolded throughout salvation history and continues to unfold today.
- Once we grasp this “big picture,” the readings at Mass begin to make more sense, our Scripture reading and study come to life, and we see how our lives fit into God’s loving plan.
New participants are welcome. With the purchase of the study guide you will receive on-line access to past sessions.
Cost: The study set is $39.00 if purchased through the Faith Formation Office.
Deep Into The Our Father: seven week study
When: Monday evenings 6:30- 8 pm.
October 7, 14, 21, 28
November 4, 11, 18
Experiencing the Old Testament roots of Our Lord’s Prayer
Perhaps Saints Mary and Joseph taught the Our Father to Jesus. All of its elements are found in the interactions that God’s chosen people had with their utterly unusual God.
He makes Israel his son. Our Father.
He calls himself I AM. Hallowed be thy name.
He steals slaves from Pharaoh. Thy kingdom come.
He gives them commandments. Thy will be done.
He feeds them miraculously. Give us our daily bread.
He shows them salvation lifted up on a stake. Forgive us our trespasses.
He punishes his people’s doubt. Lead us not into temptation.
He brings them safe to the Promised Land. Deliver us from evil.
As we explore the Bible’s own commentary on the Our Father, we will be filled with greater thanksgiving, penitence, and zeal as we use it at Mass, in Rosaries, and throughout our lives.
For this study we will read Scott Hahn’s book Understanding “Our Father”: Biblical Reflections on the Lord’s Prayer.
Cost: Copies of the book are $16.00 if purchased through the Faith Formation Office.
Are you searching for a relationship with God?
Do you want to learn more about the Catholic way of life?
Are you interested in becoming Catholic?
Were you baptized Catholic and want to complete the Sacraments of Initiation (Eucharist & Confirmation)?
Join us to learn more about the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (R.C.I.A) !
Where: The Pastoral Center
When: Thursday evenings beginning Sept. 12
Time: 6:30 – 7:30 pm
Contact Jeanne Winkelmann at (616) 949-4170 ext. 243 or